Tunisian Vegetable Tagine
Fragrant vegetable stews are common around the Mediterranean. This streamlined version is flavored with a North African spice blend and simplified with the use of precut, frozen bell peppers and onions.
- 1 teaspoon oil, olive, extra-virgin
- 1 1/2 cup(s) mixed vegetables, frozen, bell pepper and onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 14 ounce(s) tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounce(s) beans, garbanzo (chickpeas) rinsed
- pepper, black ground freshly ground, to taste
- 2 large egg(s)
Here are your instructions:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion mix; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, coarsely grind coriander seeds, caraway seeds and salt in a spice grinder, dry blender or mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in paprika and cayenne.
Add garlic and the spice mixture to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a lively simmer until slightly thickened, 8 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
Break eggs into separate halves of the pan, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the eggs with paprika.
Calories 259, Fat 9g, Cholesterol 212mg, Sodium 564mg, Saturated Fat 2g, Protein 13g, Fiber 7g, Carbohydrates 43g
We may earn income from the products mentioned in this post at no additional cost to you.