This slow-cooker pot roast recipe can provide many flavorful meals throughout the week with very little work or preparation.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 to 3 1/2-pound beef chuck roast
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 small turnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut in eighths
- 1 can (14 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 packet (1 oz.) dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Brown beef on both sides.
- Meanwhile, place half of the carrots, turnips, rutabaga, and onion in the bottom of slow cooker crock.
- Place beef on top of vegetables in crock. Arrange remaining vegetables around beef.
- In a medium bowl, mix cranberry sauce, soup mix, cranberries, cornstarch, cinnamon, thyme, pepper, allspice, and cloves. Pour over beef and vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning beef, place cookware in the base, follow the recipe as directed above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I might possibly earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting a small family business.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 51g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.