There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day at work and slow cooker hearty vegetable and bean soup is ready for dinner. The great thing about this slow cooker recipe, aside from its robust flavor, is that it’s so easy to prepare and many of the ingredients can be substituted with whatever you have on hand.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1” cubes (optional, white or red potato)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1” pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste (can be substituted with cayenne pepper)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh green beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (chicken broth can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained (navy, black, or pinto can be substituted)
- Add all the above ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover, and cook on low 8-10 hours or until carrots are tender.
- To make this a meat dish, simply add 1 pound chicken fillets (cut into 1″ cubes) to a slow cooker along with the other ingredients.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, near the end of cooking time, remove 1/2 cup of soup (liquid and veggies) and combine with 1-2 tablespoons flour or corn starch, puree and return to the slow cooker. A fork works well to mash the ingredients along with the flour or cornstarch. Be careful not to allow the hot mixture to spin out. Continue cooking until soup thickens, about 15 minutes. Minimum Slow Cooker Size: 4 quarts
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I might possibly earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting a small family business.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.