Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Stew
Get out your slow cooker and try this easy, clean and comforting recipe that is sure to please!
- 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 tbsp low-fat sour cream (optional)
Here are your instructions:
Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
Nutritional Data :
Nutrients per serving (1 cup chicken barley stew without sour cream): Calories: 230, Total Fat: 2.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 240 mg, Cholesterol: 40 mg
We may earn income from the products mentioned in this post at no additional cost to you.