Shaving raw root veggies into a side-dish salad is a fantastic approach. They’re ready in just a few minutes, their earthy flavors stay vibrant, and a simple vinaigrette tenderizes them while retaining some crunch.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 4 oz baby gold beets, thinly shaved
- 1 (4oz) fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly shaved
- 4 oz baby turnips, thinly shaved
- 1 (6oz) Granny Smith apple, very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 (6 oz) tuna steaks
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon torn fennel fronds
- Combine 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mustard, and honey in a large bowl. Add beets, fennel, turnips, and apple; toss to coat. Sprinkle salad with sesame seeds.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a cast-iron skillet over high. Sprinkle tuna with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; place in a hot pan. Cook 90 seconds on both sides (for rare) or until the desired degree of doneness. Remove tuna from pan. Slice thinly, and serve with salad; top with fennel fronds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.