Sausage Ragù Over Polenta
Look for bulk sausage, not links, to save the trouble of removing the casings. You can also substitute ground pork, beef, or turkey.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces bulk pork Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Here are your Instructions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in pepper. Remove sausage mixture to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Remove pan from heat (do not wipe out pan).
Combine onion, carrot, and garlic on a cutting board; finely chop. Return pan to medium-high. Add onion mixture to pan; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add sausage mixture, 1/2 cup water, and tomato sauce to pan; cook 1 minute.
Bring remaining 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. whisk in polenta. Reduce heat; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently with a whisk or spoon. Stir in cheese. Serve polenta with pork mixture and parsley, if desired.
We may earn income from the products mentioned in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.