This healthy sweet and sour chicken is an easy and guilt-free recipe for classic sweet and sour chicken with tons of flavor. So what makes it healthy?? Well, most restaurants deep-fry their chicken in a thick batter, which is, let’s admit it, totally delicious. But! It’s not needed. You can get tons of flavor without the heavy oil-laden breading.
This chicken is lightly coated in corn starch which is probably my favorite trick for making-over takeout dishes. The corn starch is low-carb and a very thin coating delivers a crispy exterior on your chicken when sautéed in a tablespoon or two of oil.
You can replace the sugar with a healthy option such as Lakanto Monk fruit sweetener to make this a healthier low carb/keto meal.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar or a healthy sugar replacement such as Lakanto monk fruit sweetener works very well
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (may sub white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- First prepare the sauce. Add sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion salt, and ketchup to a medium saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil. In a small bowl whisk together the 1 tablespoon corn starch and cold water until dissolved. Add to saucepan and stir until thickened, then reduce to low heat.
- Add chicken pieces and corn starch to a large ziplock bag. Seal and shake to coat chicken. Drizzle a large pan or skillet with oil. Add coated chicken. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add peppers and onions. Continue to saute over medium heat until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Add sauce to chicken and peppers. Stir to coat well. Serve warm with cooked rice if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I might possibly earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting a small family business.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 893mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 2gSugar: 49gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.