Buffalo Quinoa Burgers
This is the kind of satisfying, protein-rich veggie burger everyone will love, kicked up with a splash of hot sauce.
- 7 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water and quinoa; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon cooked quinoa onto a large plate; cool 5 minutes. Combine quinoa mixture, panko, salt, pepper, chickpeas, and egg in a food processor; pulse until chickpeas are slightly mashed and mixture comes together. Shape quinoa mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Combine remaining 2 teaspoons oil and hot sauce in a bowl. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top evenly with hot sauce mixture, lettuce, tomato, and top halves of buns.
We may earn income from the products mentioned in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.