This baked cheesy cauliflower dairy-free version of mac and cheese has nutritional yeast and cauliflower to thank for its healthy comfort food status. With 5 grams of fiber, this dish fills you up on just 131 calories per serving.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) nutritional yeast
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 mins or until translucent.
- Microwave almond milk for 1 minute or heat on the stovetop in a separate pot until warm. Mix tapioca starch with almond milk, stirring until well-combined.
- Reduce the heat of the pot with onions to low and add the almond milk-tapioca mixture. Continue stirring until the mix has thickened (about 1 minute). Remove from heat. Add nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Let the mixture cool for 5–10 mins.
- Stir in egg until well-combined. Add in chopped cauliflower and coat with mixture. Coat 4 small ramekins or a large, ovenproof baking dish with non-stick spray or coconut oil. Divide the mixture between ramekins or add to baking dish. Cook for 30 minutes. Increase oven to broil and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from oven and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I might possibly earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting a small family business.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.